Have you ever been using Snapchat before and wondered what those emojis next to your friends’ names mean? There are so many different emojis that represent different things about your relationship with the other user. One of the more coveted spots on Snapchat is the #1 best friend position, signified by the yellow heart emoji. This means that you are #1 best friends with the user and they are #1 best friends with you. You earn this heart by sending the most snap messages to each other.
The yellow heart demonstrates the first two weeks of being #1 best friends with a user. If you are still each other’s best friends after 2 weeks, the heart changes to red. Snapchat is one of the most popular forms of social media with generation Z. If you want to stay up to date on Snapchat and the meanings behind the emojis, continue to read on.
How Do You Get the Snapchat Yellow Heart?
The way to get the yellow heart with someone is simple – send each other lots of snapchats. You must do this with one another more than you do with other people. It can be harder to get the yellow heart with another user if one or both of you constantly snapchat a lot of people. This will make it take longer to gain best friend status because there are more users to compete with. Still, if you really want to get a yellow heart emoji with someone it is possible, just make sure to snap them as often as possible.
Can You Have the Snapchat Yellow Heart with Multiple People?
No, it is not possible to have a yellow heart with more than one person. It is a special emoji and takes work to get it and maintain this status. Still, the yellow heart is easier to get compared to other friend emojis like the red or pink heart. If you want to have the yellow heart with a different user than the one you do now, then stop snapping that user and snapchat the one you want to be best friends with more.
Why is the Snapchat Yellow Heart Significant?
The reason the Snapchat yellow heart is important is because it can only be shared with another person. Since the yellow heart signifies best friend status, it can only occur with the person you snap the most and if they snap you the most as well. The yellow heart is the first step in gaining more difficult friendship emojis like the red or pink heart. It provides insight on who your number one best friend is on Snapchat.
Snapchat Emoji Meanings
The emojis will appear next to the name of the user you snapchat. The Snapchat emoji meanings indicate the type or length of relationship with the user. If you want to be successful at Snapchat marketing it is important to know how the app works as well as the increase of influencer marketing on the app. So here is a helpful guide to the meanings of Snapchat’s various emojis.
- Yellow Heart – Congrats! This means that you are best friends with this person on Snapchat. Likewise, you are their best friend. You send the most snaps to this person and they send the most snaps to you. It is also called the besties emoji.
- Red Heart – This is the next level up from the yellow heart. It means that you have been best friends with the person for two weeks and have maintained that status. The red heart on Snapchat lasts either until users are no longer best friends or for 2 months. The red heart is also called the BFF emoji.
- Pink Hearts – This is the final level of best friend status on Snapchat. These hearts signify that you and this person have been best friends with each other for two months straight. This one signifies a high level of Snapchat commitment and takes effort to maintain. There is no friendship level above the pink heart, so if you get this you have reached a major milestone. It is also called the super BFF emoji.
- Grimace Face – This emoji indicates that your #1 best friend is also their #1 best friend. So you both snap the same person the most.
- Smiley Face – This one means that the person you are snapchatting is another best friend of yours. They are not your #1 best friend, but they are still up there.
- Sunglasses Face – The sunglasses emoji next to a friend’s name means that you and this person share a best friend. It does not have to mean a #1 best friend, but someone you both snap frequently. It often occurs with people who have mutual friends and run in the same circle.
- Baby Face – Just like a baby, this one means that the user is brand new to you and it disappears after a few days. It signifies a new friendship on Snapchat.
- Fire – A lot of people who do not even use Snapchat have heard the term snap streak. This emoji shows how many days you and the user have been snapchatting each other consecutively. If neither you or the user send a snapchat over a period of twenty four hours, then the snap streak and flame disappears. Once this happens, you will have to restart the streak from the beginning or contact Snapchat support if you want to try to get it back.
- Hourglass – This is a warning that your snapstreak with someone is about to expire. So if you see this next to one of your snap streaks, then get to snapping. Feel free to use the timer feature to send a snap.
- One Hundred – It goes with the fire emoji and means that you and another user have a snap streak of 100 days. That emoji will only show up for that one day.
- Birthday Cake – When next to a user’s name, this means that it is their birthday. Snapchat puts that here so friends of the user will wish them a happy birthday and utilize snapchat.
- Zodiac Emojis – While not next to the user’s name, it is shown under a user’s profile. The exact one depends on the user’s birthday and if they have inputted it in the app. It shows the zodiac sign of the user and provides a little extra information.
Why Does Snapchat Have So Many Emoji Meanings?
The purpose behind the Snapchat emojis is to categorize and signify the relationships between users. These emojis motivate people to use Snapchat more often and increase the number of messages they send. It works as a goal where first users get a Snapchat yellow heart, then a red one, and finally a pink one. These friendship emojis can be a common goal for friends to work towards and achieve.
Another Snapchat emoji that encourages users to continuously snap each other is the snap streak, which is shown by the fire emoji. The snap streak appears after day three of users snapchatting each other and has a fire emoji with the number of days spent snapping each other. The other emojis show aspects like mutual friends you both snap frequently, if you have the same best friend, and other insights. The Snapchat emojis help figure out your relationship with other users, friends you might have in common, and how long you have been snapchatting with another user.
When Did Snapchat Introduce the Emoji Functions?
Snapchat released the emojis in April 2015. Before that, there was a list of your top three best friends visible to everyone. They have since updated the meanings of the emojis. Snapchat introduced another popular feature the year before in 2014, the geofilter. You could click on a user and it would show the people that they snapped the most. The difference with the emojis is that they are not publicly visible and only shown to the users involved. The emojis and their meanings are much more detailed than the previously available list of best friends.
The reason Snapchat got rid of the public list of best friends is that it raised some privacy concerns. It also caused some awkward situations between people due to the public nature of these lists with no ability to hide them. That is where the emojis came in as well as private best friend lists. Now your best friends list is private to you and you can have up to eight on your list. The emojis now only display information about friendships to the users involved so these privacy concerns have dissipated.
How to Customize Your Friend Emojis
Did you know that if you want to change the default options that you have the option to? In order to fit better with personal preference, you can change what the emojis mean for you. If you want your best friend to be shown with a balloon instead of the Snapchat yellow heart, Snapchat gives you the option to do this.
Customization Instructions for iOS/iPhones:
- Go to my profile
- Click on the settings icon in the top right corner
- Scroll down to additional services
- Click manage
- Select friend emojis
- Customize your emojis with whatever you wish
Customization Instructions for Android:
- Go to my profile
- Click on the settings icon
- Select customize emojis
- Customize your friend emojis
- What is Snapchat?
- What do the Snapchat emojis mean?
- How do I customize Snapchat emojis?
- What is the hardest Snapchat emoji to get?
- What does the red heart on Snapchat mean?