All website creators can benefit from cutting-edge technical SEO strategies. The World Wide Web contains a myriad of websites, each created and designed with different intentions. However, all website developers share a common goal: the desire for their websites to be seen.
How can you attract more traffic to your website? Using technical SEO to your advantage. This will ensure that your website meets the technical requirements of modern search engines. Let’s learn more about SEO and the ways that you can level up your website to make sure it is spotlighted amongst others.
Before we can discuss technical SEO, we must first introduce traditional SEO. SEO stands for search engine optimization. The search engine you used to find flight tickets for vacation or last night’s dinner recipe did not show you a random sampling of websites. Search engines are advanced mathematical machines that organize websites. SEO is a digital marketing strategy that focuses on your site’s presence in search engine results. Search engines are one of the most used tools in modern life. Getting closer to the top of that result list could mean getting more feet in your business’s door.
How Does SEO Work?
We’ve already mentioned that behind the allure of a Google or Bing search box is a complex algorithm of data. Each search engine has a crawler that goes out and gathers information about ALL the content that can be found on the internet. Next, the crawlers return to the search engine and bring back all this data to form an index. Finally, that index is then run through an algorithm that matches your query with its data.
That’s the “SE” of SEO. The “O”, or optimization, is enacted through you. Those writing content for websites or building its infrastructure make choices. Some of these include title tags, meta descriptions, or internal links. If done optimally, search engine crawlers will better understand websites through these elements. This will help match a search to your website.
Why is SEO Important?
SEO continues to be a leading factor in any digital marketing strategy. It is a reliable arena that appears will maintain dependability in the future. Despite the logical reasoning that SEO can increase website visibility and searchability, it can also provide countless other benefits. Below are 3 main reasons why your company should invest in effective SEO practices.
- Organic search engines form the majority of online traffic – Those with internet access are more likely to turn to search engines for answers. SEO involves enhancing an experience that for many, is daily.
- SEO is quantifiable – Through analytics and trend trafficking, you can actually measure the impact that SEO has on your website. From higher traffic metrics and higher revenue to an increase in search result rankings, there are ways to observe the positive changes from SEO in measurable avenues.
- Enhancing trust and credibility – Eventually, SEO will build a desirable user interface that is more easily discoverable. But earning trust from search engines is not something that is easily garnered. When building trust and credibility, positive user behavior or machine-learning signals are useful to take into consideration. With patience and precision, SEO can help you earn the assurance of consumers and help develop brand awareness.
SEO is the practice of increasing the quantity and quality of traffic to a website through organic search results. These three categories are the backbone of any SEO service. Let’s take a deeper look into what they are and how they function in SEO processes.
#1: Quantity of Traffic
SEO procedures enhance the likelihood of user discovery through search engines. They bring an increase of traffic to websites by increasing its visibility. Unlike everyday car traffic, digital traffic is actually desired and needed. Impressive visiting metrics help rank sites higher on SERPs (search engine result pages). Think of it as landing on the front cover of a magazine. This is an incredibly advantageous position to have for your website.
#2: Quality of Traffic
Nonetheless, not everyone likes to purchase the same magazine. SEO processes target the potential consumers that are already searching for the products or services that align with your industry. By doing this, SEO helps increase leads and potential sales for your business.
#3: Organic Search Results
In a grocery store, the label “organic” might turn you away from an item due to its hefty price. On the internet, organic is the opposite. Organic traffic refers to free website traffic. That’s right, you don’t have to pay for it! Most modern search engines have developed algorithms to rank websites on SERPs. With SEO increasing your website’s chance of climbing up the SERP ladder, YOU reap the advertising/marketing rewards at no cost!
Understanding Technical SEO
Now that you have a deeper understanding of general SEO, let’s look specifically at its relative, technical SEO. Technical SEO refers to managing the technical aspects of your website. It involves making sure that your website is meeting the requirements of modern search options. Why conduct technical SEO? Ensuring that your website is meeting search engine requirements will lead to an increase in result rankings.
Technical SEO is also known as on-page SEO. This means that SEO practices happen on the website directly and not outside. This puts you at the helm of the ship, in control of the website’s direction. In order to gain more traffic, it is crucial that your website is able to be found, crawled, and indexed by a search engine. Additionally, it is important that your website balance this with a degree of user-friendliness. Manipulating the digital infrastructure of your website positively should enhance its search engine evaluation and help to please your website’s visitors.
How Can You Improve Your Technical SEO?
There are a number of practices or tools that can assist in satisfying your website for optimal search engine visibility. Let’s discuss some of the areas that you should consider in order to partake in best practices of technical SEO.
Site Structure and Navigation
The most important factor in enhancing your technical SEO is implementing a structure for ideal user experience. Many crawling and indexing issues arise because of a poorly-designed structure. A site’s structure will influence everything you can do to optimize it. The bottom line is that a strong format for your site will pay off tremendously in the long run. It will make every other technical SEO task that much easier. Here are some suggestions to help you begin considering how to arrange your website for Technical SEO purposes.
- Use a flat and organized site structure– A flat structure where your pages are only a few links away from each other makes it easier for search engines to crawl. Maintaining organization will ensure your pages are linked together for optimal indexing purposes.
- Have a consistent URL structure – Using a logical and patterned URL structure will help users understand “where” they are on your website. Similar to the organization above, it is helpful to put your pages under different categories. This will give search engines extra content about the pages in each category.
- Consider using Breadcrumbs Navigation – This style of navigation reveals a user’s location on the website while navigating. Breadcrumb navigation automatically adds internal links to category and subpages on your site. This will help to maintain organization and entice users to follow the already laid-out paths of a website.
- Improve your pagespeed – Maximizing your website’s pagespeed is one of the few technical SEO strategies that can directly enhance your website’s rankings. Improving your loading speed can make a significant dent in organic traffic. You can do this by reducing web page size, testing loading times, or eliminating 3rd party scripts.
- Strategize keyword usage – One of the most important aspects of your website is its use of keywords. A keyword is actually how search engine crawlers find your website. They also are the words users type into a search engine when researching a query. If your website has a considerable amount of keywords on it, it will rank higher on the results page. Be careful about the way in which you repeat keywords! Make sure they are spaced and used logically. An inappropriate layout of keywords can deter a user from further navigation.
- Avoid duplicate content – If you write unique, original content for every page of your website, you should not have to worry. However, it can be easy to forget what content has already been created, especially with large websites. Doing your best to avoid duplicate content is beneficial as it can hurt your site’s overall ranking. Consider utilizing tools to find and fix duplicate content. The Ravens Tool Site Auditor and The Ahrefs Site Audit Tool are available for these purposes.
There are many different methods and perspectives that you can take in order to boost your technical SEO. Make sure to regularly audit your websites to look for opportunities for technical SEO improvement. Your site might just find its claim to fame because of it.
- How can I improve my technical SEO?
- What does technical SEO do?
- How does technical SEO work?
- Why is technical SEO important?
- How can I enhance my technical SEO?