So, you want to get verified on Instagram. Getting verified on Instagram is a coveted feat by many, but only achieved by some. It can be confusing how you get that gratifying blue check, but we have the answers to get you to the right place. This article successfully outlines the steps for how you get verified on Instagram. For more social media services, contact SEO Design Chicago today!
Before there is too much talk about the verification process, it is best to talk about Instagram’s content-generating platform that people regularly post on and scroll through. Instagram is a free photo- and video-sharing app available on iPhone and Android. People or businesses can upload their photos and videos and view, comment and like others’ posts.
As a person looking to get verified on Instagram, you need to be regularly pushing content, and understand how photo, video and caption content generates viewers. Your Instagram content needs to be engaging.
Because Instagram is about attention-grabbing photos, they need to look professionally done and remain true to your brand. Stock photo sites are a great alternative, if you don’t have access to a professional photographer. The top free stock photo sites include StockSnap.io, Pexels, Unsplash, Burst, Reshot, Pixabay, FoodiesFeed, Gratisography, Freestocks.org and Picography.
Instagram videos directly put a face to your brand. Photos capture content beautifully, but videos are more interactive for the audience. You can do tutorials in 10 seconds, give announcements or do product giveaways. The possibilities are endless as you tell your story.
While Instagram champions the photo and video content creation, how you construct your captions help you get Instagram verified. Your captions should reflect what your brand stands for and have a consistent tone across. Don’t go on long rants. Limit yourself to no more than a couple sentences, as people fall off after the first sentence or two, and they may feel overwhelmed when they open a post and see a huge paragraph.
Instagram Verification Steps
With Instagram’s features nailed down, you are ready to apply to be verified. The application process to get Instagram verified is actually relatively easy and includes the following steps:
- Go to your profile and press the Menu button (on top right corner)
- Click the Settings icon
- Then, click Account icon
- Click Request Verification
- Enter your full name, professional name and category
- Upload a picture ID (driver’s license, passport or national ID) or other business documents (tax filings or utility bill)
- Click Send to finish application
Instagram will notify you once they have reviewed your application. The verification time frame takes no longer than several days.
Requirements to get verified
So, you’ve applied and are anxiously waiting to hear back. How can you be sure you’ll get Instagram verified? If you are authentic, unique, complete and notable, you will not be rejected.
Being authentic on Instagram means that you represent a real person (you have this one covered) or a registered business.
To be unique, there must be only one account per person or business. Language-specific accounts are the exception.
For your account to be complete, it must be made public, have a bio, profile photo and at least one post. No “add me” links to other social services are allowed on your profile.
Lastly, your Instagram profile needs to be notable. This is the trickiest area to achieve to get Instagram verified because it entails you or your business to be well-known and highly searched for. You or your business must be featured in reviews or multiple news sources.
How to Help Yourself Get Instagram Verified
To have the weighty blue check next to your name, you need to become an influencer. Yes, this is a lofty goal, but it is attainable through the right process. The following steps outline how you can become an influencer.
Followers and Engagement
Build it. Period. You need to define your niche and define why you, out of all of Instagram verification applicants, should be approved. Build recognition for your expertise. Use keywords that relate to you or your business. (Hello SEO my old friend.) Pinterest is similar to Instagram in that it is visually motivated. However, keywords in your captions, profile page and comments reaffirm people’s belief that you are who you say you are (consistency consistency consistency).
They increase visibility. Using popular hashtags help your posts reach a larger audience, and they have been primarily linked with Twitter. The key is not overusing them. Only use hashtags when they are specific and relevant to the content you’re pushing out on Instagram. The top 10 Instagram marketing hashtags include the following list-
#marketing, #marketingtips, #b2cmarketing, #b2bmarketing, #strategy, #mktg, #digitalmarketing, #marketingstrategy, #mobilemarketing, #socialmediamarketing
Cross-Promotion on Social Media
Double-dipping at its finest. You can build your following on Instagram if you also promote your other social media accounts on the platform. That way, your followers may choose to also follow your Facebook or Twitter accounts. Maybe even Pinterest, if you have one. By establishing your popularity across all of your platforms, you can become a social celebrity that warrants getting Instagram verified.
Be different. This can go without saying, but you don’t want your Instagram account to be cold and impersonal. People were drawn to you or your business for a reason. Retain that originality – and build it up even more. Personalization makes your fans feel special.
Time Your Posts
Post on Instagram when people are awake and active on it. You will have to compete with other influencers who post at the same time as you, but at least you know your content is tailored to your unique style. The best way to get Instagram verified is to build a following. This can’t be achieved unless you post at peak hours of the day, which usually ranges from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and during early evening hours.
Do something that makes the news. Unfortunately, having a ton of followers isn’t enough to warrant an Instagram verification badge. Release a press release if you’ve done something in a neighborhood; help out at a local nonprofit; take a stand for a cause and be interviewed by the press for it. Get your name out there.
Bad Social Practices
Avoid it. Like the other platforms, Instagram spots people trying to game the system. Don’t take the shortcuts, though they may be tempting. These include buying followers, making spammy comments, refusing to adhere to Instagram’s guidelines.
Receiving the Instagram stamp of approval is a sign of status, and is anything but easy. Other social media platforms have a similar process that is also extensive. However, just because you are verified on Instagram doesn’t mean you will also get verified on Facebook.
As mentioned previously, Instagram is an app that is compatible for Apple and Android devices. After downloading the app, you input your email address and create a username and password to activate the account. The Profile tab is where you are able to see your photo and video posts – and the blue verified Instagram badge.
Top Instagram Tools of 2020
The following lists a number of Instagram tools that influences use to bring in a larger audience, helping them keep their Instagram verification. These include automation, editing and bio tools.
- Hootsuite: This tool takes the fuss out of posting on Instagram. Photos, videos and stories are posted directly from Hootsuite’s dashboard onto your Instagram platform. With Hootsuite, you can check the post’s analytics and respond to comments directly.
- Panoramiq Multiview: This tool gives you a panoramic view of how people engage with your account. Also, you can add multiple accounts to one stream.
- Boomerang: This is a standalone app by Instagram that adds looping effects to photos. It spruces up static photos that can be added to stories.
- Adobe Lightroom: This is a professional photo-editing app that elevates your images that much more.
- Snapseed: This app is owned by Google and offers selective editing options (tweaking tweaking tweaking).
- VSCO: This tool is best known for its filters, of which 10 are conveniently free. If you subscribe, you get access to advanced tools like Kodak, Fuji and Agfa filters.
- Prequel: This tool has bold features to keep you on trend with Instagram aesthetics. (filters, filters and more filters).
- Adobe Premiere Rush: This tool allows you to shoot pro-quality videos on your mobile device and edit with advanced features. You then can publish directly to Instagram.
- Canva: This tool can be used across Instagram for standard posts, but it really shines through Instagram stories. There are free, customizable templates, with new and seasonal updates.
- Shorby: This is Instagram’s link supercharger. Shorby provides Smart Pages that can be customized to you and your brand (think videos, GIFs, links to web pages, etc.)
Contact SEO Design Chicago today
SEO Design Chicago is an internet marketing company that provides unique and personalized marketing for your brand. Still waiting to have your business get Instagram verified? Contact SEO Design Chicago to help you achieve the coveted blue check mark. We also provide Instagram advertising services!